Monday, July 27, 2009

1989

It was murder and negation. I was refusing to dive into the ocean of my life, to really feel it. And Why did I not see that at the time? Because I already had but a tenuous connection to my emotions. I was absent. So it was easy to make the choice not to live, not to feel life. So easy to refuse to be woken up and become present.
One thinks one has no choice, but everything is a choice: every movement, every moment of inactivity, every thought. Every No, every Yes. Every pawn has a place in the battle, it's not just the queen that matters.

So I made the choice not to live, I chose to avoid life, to avoid emotion, to avoid reproduction and everything that goes with being a parent and a co-parent. I chose the selfishness of avoidance. As if it was my decision to make! I thought an abortion was an experience. It was not. It was a denial of experience. It was in both ways, for the child and for me, a negation of life.

And where did it get me? Absolutely no where except further inside the hole inside my own mind. Negation of life, negation of experience, avoidance of pain, when so much learning comes through pain. Avoidance of love and joy and trust and growth, of a shared life.

And do I regret it? No. It is impossible to regret. One is what one is through the habit of living. I can only apologize...

4 comments:

Dr Mad Fish said...

That's the beginning of healing the wound Chrissie.

chrissie said...

I hope so. It would be good. Seeing things from another point of view usually helps to shift things, I think.

sarah toa said...

Hi Chrissie, I'm back. The what ifs in life can do your head in, hey?

chrissie said...

glad you're back!
yes...and i think it's a useful process to acknowledge the pain of the past to make peace with it and so avoid the same mistakes.