Wednesday, July 8, 2009

This Remarkable New World is Good

It tears at me each time I go

forced to leave pieces of this new place behind. But each time I leave it’s bigger in me, surer,

the World shown me, in me. I'm surprised

I didn't notice it before, it's so good. I suppose because it fits so neatly into this one, underneath

shells and tied to lamp-posts

And each well-scripted line

surprised I did not find it,

When these tunes make its transluscent space.


You can tell the world I was good; second, that I left a small place open for you.

Before I sleep show me. Farewell.

Show me the World is really good.

I leave something of this newly created thing on your window ledge. The smell of honey.

I long for you until the sun goes down or until I find something to occupy myself, and then I am no longer inside you. Free of you like fish are free of the shore.


Today the season’s first finally ripe Ballardia, pink taste in my mouth.

Some time later the astringency.


He rises fresh and dripping, magically opposed to death.

He sinks and I am left alone on the surface, looking all around me in confusion.

Christ smells miraculously fresh.

This is where you do not notice decayed flesh. I have ridden high on open time


Plateau after overwhelming crisis

Where it was impossible to go forward into the maw of defeat

And retreat was certain failure.

The general gathered strength by turning inward and finding hope, repose.


I look forward to you and then I do not mind.

Now I have turned around and I am not so covered up,

not so earthed.

Something blooms. I'll only do this one last time. And once again perhaps. I lived

so deep I almost don’t feel this pain of forgetting.


This is my tears without leaving anything out.

(I forget I'll feel the pain.)

I lived so deeply inside your tunnels. The bright night swims down to me bursts like fish upon the net.

Ah! Bright night swim to me!

I leave you my tears.


A perfect shape.

It fits me so much cleaner this time.
And then more mature, and then fruitful.
I ripen alone, forced to leave, forced to fruit


As if the only strength I have is to oblige.
Can continue to do so but this would be the last time I stop. I am healed.


...leave something.
I lean towards you until sunset.






2 comments:

sarah toa said...

Ah! Bright night swim to me! This is so beautiful Our Sunshine. Journey well,friend... X

chrissie said...

tks mate. thanks to gerald manley hopkins for that one, or an approximation.
funny, i just realised what i was writing about - and it was not what i thought at all - or what i said to you at the jetty. rather the state of being unwell.